Tuesday 10 July 2012

It's a squashed spider

That was not quite the response I was looking for when I showed my OH the first ever flower on one of my manfredas.  I must admit that having waited so long for something more unusual to flower it is not the most dramatic flower ever. Being outside has probably not helped and it only have 4 or 5 buds.

The flowers themselves are quite interesting though, I love the dark colour with the yellow centres. This one has only just opened so I thought I would get a photo in while it was still fresh.








I did have grand ideas of getting some pollen off one of the agaves that various friends have flowering. The flower has opened much quicker than expected though so I will have to get a move on.  What would work well crossed with manfreda chocolate chips.

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting! In fact, I have never seen anything like this. "fishing lines" Great delight to see something like this, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from the petals it reminds me a lot of a lily.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, there is something there.

      Delete
  2. attenuata maybe a good crosser. Has it finally stopped raining there yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be good, sadly it is rare to see them in flower here. And it is still raining although they are suggesting we may actual have a weekend of sun!

      Delete