Tuesday 14 May 2013

Echeveria 'Compton Carousel'

This is one of the most sort after echeverias in the UK, and understandably so. It looks great when in top condition, the problem is keeping it that way.


Sadly it is a right pain to keep in the UK; being prone to rot and also winter growth.  More often than not you end up with a dead plant or one that looks like this:


Thankfully with a bit of luck it will offset for you.



They are not visible in this photo, but there are another 3 pups around the base of the trunk. I am guessing at some point I will top cut it, letting the pups form a clump.  A cluster of these in a nice pot will look good, especially if they are not allowed to get leggy.

If you feel the need to experiment, the leaves also seem to take, but most likely the plants will revert to normal and not be variegated.  Time will tell.



I am hoping this means I have at least solved the rot problem, but if not then I should have a backup.



6 comments:

  1. I have this succulent and my friend who grows these says that its normal for it to get leggy and get that out of control look...He said the only thing u can do is to cut off the flower that grows off of it and also do what you have shown here.... That succulent is one of many that can grow in our California clay soil...in fact its pretty hard to kill it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shame they get so leggy so easily. At least you have less problems with rot.

      Delete
  2. All my succulents get leggy even though they get plenty of light. I have lots of babies growing from leaves and wonder when I can safely cut off the mama. She doesn't seem to be shriveling away as I would expect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They don't tend to die, instead just keep going as long as you let them. I tend to top cut when either I have a good spare, or when it gets too unruly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would so like to find one like that! Absolutely stunning! Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have access to a lot more echeveria variegates in the US than we do, but I know this is a named form from the UK and hard to get hold of in US. You may find a similar one under echeveria secunda variegate

      Delete