Monday 29 April 2019

The aloe polyphyllas

For many people aloe polyphylla is the must have aloe. The beautiful spiral and the fact that it is one of the hardiest aloes both adding to its attraction.  I have three now, that is if you count the cored multihead one as one plant.  It's still growing well and may be crunch time to decide what to do. Leave it so as not to risk loosing it, or cut it up to at least give two plants.


There are 6 heads in total all about the same size. I figure I could cut down the middle to give two clumps with roots, or cut two heads off to keep a multi-headed plant and separate the rest with or without roots. Either way, some of it is going to have to planted out at some point soon, they are getting too big for pots and grow so much quicker in the ground.

The second plant is one given to me a friend after I managed to kill all my seedlings.  We both got seeds from the same place at the same time, only he managed not to kill his. I am slowly getting better with seedlings due to my mangave hybrids and a few tests on random seeds, so maybe I'll have to try again.  Anyway it has been potted into a 30cm pot to give it one more year in which I can bring it inside.  I will probaly just place it where the plant will be in the new section of the rockery.


I think in the Uk they need to be about 30cm at least to survive planted out, even then I will most likely cover it just to give it that little extra protection.

The final plant is the large one. It sailed through winter without any damage.


The exciting news is that it is flowering again, having had a year off last year.


It will be a couple of months before the flower is fully open, but good to know it is back to flowering.

3 comments:

  1. I had one thriving in a container for a few years, I rescued it from a nursery that was over watering it something awful. Sadly it was fried by the sun one spring day. I'd taken it out of winter storage and thought I'd acclimated it to the sun, but no. How exciting that your in-ground plant is going to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am terrible are hadening off plants. Every year I say I'll get better and then toast some poor succulent.

      Delete