Tuesday, 12 July 2011

Planting: part 2

Having got part way through the planting on Sunday, I thought it best to carry on can get it all finished. So to recap; so far the bottom third of the picture is planted up with agave parryi cream spike, graptosedum 'Mediterranean Mystery' , and a saxifage. Next in were a few sempervivum ciliosum and a small agave utahensis.

This was about the half ay mark and I was starting to worry I would not have enough plants, so it was time to raid the dry bed for some echeveria elegans.

That didn't take us as much space as I hoped so back to the sempervivums, this time s. lively bug, but again running out of plants, so time to cut up a nice little sedeveria lutescens. The name is almost right,  but I can never find it referanced anywhere, another for my list of names to be confirmed. Anyway it is a nice plant, that has pretty white flowers in spring.

Really on the home stretch now just one little space to fill.  Back out to the dry bed for a bit of inspiration and I spotted this lovely plant that I suspect is a graptopetalum or one of the crosses.  As it has been bone hardy for me I thought it had earned the last spot, so in it went.  That was it, all planted up (although no doubt I will add a few more saxifrages to help it fill out quicker)  and I am really pleased with it

One of the things I like about it, is it is surprisingly 3D,  as it sat on the table it looked like a proper mini landscape.

I will leave it flat for the rest of July to give it time to settle in and the plants to take root properly.  Then slowly move it up to vertical, probably increasing the angle a bit every few days.  It has been fun putting it together and I will enjoy watching it fill out.

So how many plants did it take, well here is the full list: 1 x agave paryyi cream spike, 1 x agave utahensis, 2 graptosedum 'Mediterranean Mystery' , 3 x sedeveria lutescens, 6 x echeveria elegans, 3 x unknown graptopetalum, 8 x sempervivum virgils, 20 x sempervivum lively bug, 26 x sempervivum ciliosum and 145 saxifrages. So by my reckoning that's 225 plants, admittedly the saxifrages are a bit of a cheat, as it was 5 plants cut up,  but as I had to plant each bit using my faithful needle nose tweezers I feel justified in counting them as individual plants!

Overall I am really happy, but sitting back, looking at it I noticed the pile of pots still full of plants. I realised I hadn't used the 15 echeverias FO-48 I had propped especially for the picture.  I guess that explains why my collection of plants in pots never gets smaller. Anyone want a not hardy echeveria offset?


  1. I love, love, love this! I thought I might like to do one of these before, but now I know I have no choice but to make one of these!! This is gorgeous and I could go on and on, but I'll stop for now. Please keep sharing pictures as it begins to fill in!

  2. I was going to say, not enough plants, surely not?
    How do you stop things from growing upwards against gravity? The living walls I've seen have all ended up doing that much more than you'd like, but they aren't using succulents usually

  3. Mandy: thank you. It was very easy to do, the hardest bit was actually deciding what to plant. I'll make sure I do regular updates as it fills out.
    Oxslip: My OH was looking at me as I wondered around saying I don't have enough plants, pointing to the hundreds of pots full of plants asking if none of them would do. Most of the plants are low growing rosettes, like the sempervivums, and echeverias. There are one two plants which have deliberately been added for height and I actually think it will be fun if once hanging, they grow up instead of out of the picture. I can always trim them if they get out of control.

  4. This living picture is going to be outstanding. It already looks amazing and you did an incredible job. Yes please keep us posted as to the growth of this great work of art. I like how you added planted that were very short and some that would pop out a bit. That will make it look 3D. I would like to do one of these but am confused as to what is keeping the dirt in. Is it mixed with sphagnum moss? Or is it that the plant roots will get intertwined and with the growth of them holds the dirt in? I think the questions sound kind of stupid but I can't figure it out!! LOL

  5. Candy: I didn't use moss in this one. Instead I am relying on the combination of the roots bonding the soil, the mesh, and the plants knitting together to hold everything in place.

  6. You did a great job. Very good design sense.

    On mine, even though the plants have filled in completely, I've found it's best to still lay them down to water them. The water runs right through otherwise. Of course here it is a lot warmer and drier then where you are.

    I'll be looking forward to the updates to see how the plants fill in. It's going to be beautiful.

  7. HB: Thank you. I had read somewhere else about lying it down to water. So good to have confirmation that it is better.