Monday 6 February 2012

A work courtyard update

It is the first winter for the garden at my office and we couldn't have wished for a milder one.  The central London effect means that many plants that have been killed even in my mild area are still going and the rockery especially is totally untouched. (I apologise for the quality of the photos they are from my phone).


The plant I am most surprised about is the echeveria mauna loa. The ones in my dry bed have all melted, they don't survive below -1 for me, which shows how warm the work garden is.  There are even some still in flower which has surprised me as well.


The fastest growing agave has been the agave filifera which has sent out a few pups already.


The jungle bed has made the most of the warm weather as well.  We finally cut the gingers back a couple of weeks ago, but the ensete and even more amazingly the colocasia have lost no leaves due to the cold.  Sadly while it has been warm, we have had a lot of storms and the plants that up until recently didn't have a single damaged leaves are now very tatty.


Time will tell if the we continue to get away with not digging things up.

2 comments:

  1. They are holding up to your UK weather really well. Plants are amazing, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have done really well, the mild winter and the central London heat effect is working a treat.

      Delete